Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Recovery

It's a big thing around here. It's all the buzz. I took Kai to the neurologist yesterday and he no longer qualifies under the DSM IV as having autism. His speech will get better, I mean, we're working miracles over here and he just started talking in October. Yet, I don't know what to make of it. He's always going to have other issues, we don't know what yet, like anxiety, he still gets angry if I take him the "wrong" way home, etc.

My husband asked me today, "so, how do you feel".

"what do you mean?" I said.

"Do you feel like those people that get cancer and once they find out they're in remission, they get all upset about it."

"I think you've watched one to many episodes of breaking bad," I replied.

Honestly though, I really don't know what to make of it. The neurologist is keeping his label until next year or the year after that, when i see him again. He doesn't want to take it off until we're done with all therapy.

Honestly for speech. He's only behind a couple of months...which is crazy since he just started speaking.

ABA, we're taking him out. Even his BCBA agreed. He did exceedingly well on his ABLLS.

We have an OT eval this Wednesday. I'm not cancelling any evaluations, I've been waiting to long, I figure, if we need anything, get it while we can. The only thing he might need help with is riding a tricycle (really) and his handwriting. He's still ambidextrous. Which might be the reason why he has problems drawing. He uses both hands equally.

We would still like to do Floortime, just for some social work. It would be a group setting. Honestly though, once he warms up to you, he has no problem asking you to play. Yes, he has friends and he call them over to play...he even asks for them when they are not around.

Anyway, we'll see where this all takes us, I'm still treading cautiously though.

No comments:

Post a Comment